Makita has done their U.S. user base a real solid by not bringing their single-battery 36V platform here. Instead, for these more demanding cordless tools, the Makita X2 platform uses two 18V batteries rather than force customers to buy into an all-new battery platform. Case in point? The Makita 9-inch Cordless Grinder makes its way to the cordless market, and it pushes 36V worth of power from two 18V LXT batteries. Considering that there really aren’t a whole lot of cordless 9″ options out there (Metabo has a 9″ grinder on their 36V platform, and Hilti has a 36V 6″ grinder), the Makita XAG13PT1 joins a pretty elite class of manufacturers. Plus, for good measure, they’ve also released a 7″ grinder on the same platform. It seems like they’re just rubbing it in at this point, right?
Makita 9-inch Grinder Highlights
This new cordless grinder features an electronically-controlled brushless motor. In addition to extending the motor’s life, it matches torque and RPM to the specific application. Makita calls this their Automatic Speed Change technology. Brushless technology opens up a lot of doors for motor control as well as torque and speed management.
Makita also aimed for efficiency with this new grinder. It includes an electronic brake system that stops the grinding wheel from spinning in 4.5 seconds or less. That may sound slow, but remember that this is a 9-inch blade. Plus, should the wheel suddenly slow or stop, the Makita 9″ grinder will employ its Electronic Torque Control, turning the motor off and keeping the magic smoke inside.
The Makita 9-inch cordless grinder also features a vibration absorbing back handle. This handle is isolated from the motor to keep perceived vibration to a minimum. The tool’s soft start feature also smooths out the whole start-up process.
As far as safety goes, the Makita XAG13PT1 includes a no lock-on rear paddle trigger switch, as well as anti-restart protection. This feature keeps the grinder from firing up if a new battery gets inserted while the switch is turned on.
- The Brushless Motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the Motor to run cooler and more efficiently
- Two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries deliver corded power
- Electronic Torque Control turns the motor off if the rotation of the wheel is suddenly forced to stop
- Vibration absorbing back handle is isolated from the motor housing effectively reducing vibration
- Includes: (2) 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 5.0Ah batteries, dual port rapid charger, grinding wheel, cut-off wheel, grinding wheel guard, cut-off wheel guard, side handle and tool bag
Makita XAG13PT1 36V Grinder Specs
- Model Number: XAG13PT1 (7″ Grinder: XAG12PT1)
- Arbor Size: 0.625″
- Weight: 13.01 lbs
- Length: 19.625″
- Battery Voltage: 18V
- Switch Type: Paddle
- Grinder Type: Angle
- Max RPM: 6,000
- Warranty: 3-Year Limited